Non-Material Change Application to East Anglia THREE
In July 2020 East Anglia THREE Limited submitted an application for a non-material change to its planning consent, to amend the parameters of its offshore substations (OSSs) and wind turbines (WTGs). A consultation on the proposals ran from 3 August to 30 September 2020 and consent was granted in April 2021. Below is a summary of the proposed changes.
The application followed ScottishPower Renewables’ announcement that it is taking forward three East Anglia (EA) projects: EA ONE North; EA TWO and EA THREE as a single delivery programme known as the East Anglia Hub (EA Hub).
The EA Hub concept will increase efficiencies and could deliver multiple and wide-reaching benefits such as reduced construction timescales, sustained contracting opportunities for the supply chain and a reduction in the cost of renewable energy.
To realise the benefits of this concept, elements of the EA THREE design envelope needed to be amended to more closely align with the wider EA Hub developments.
The amendments related to parameters under both the Development Consent Order and the Deemed Marine Licence, therefore separate applications were made to the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS) and the Marine Management Organisation (MMO).
The changes to the OSS parameters subject to the non-material change were:
- a reduction in the number of OSSs from six to one;
- an increase in the number of pin piles per OSS jacket leg from one to four; and
- an Increase in the number of legs of the OSS from four to six.
The changes to the WTGs’ parameters subject to the non-material change were:
- a reduction in the total number of WTGs from 172 to 121;
- an increase in the maximum tip height from 247m to 262m (relative to Lowest Astronomical Tide (LAT);
- an increase in the minimum air draught from 22m to 24m (Mean High Water Springs (MHWS)) across 100% of the WTGs; and
- an increase in rotor diameter from 220m to 230m.
More detail is available in the East Anglia THREE Non-Material Supporting Statement, which is available below to download.
Please contact the Stakeholder Team on:
Phone: 07738 063 259 (Joanna Young) or 07928 655 088 (Nikki Berry)