Whitelee Windfarm Celebrates School Holidays
A week of family events at the UK’s biggest onshore windfarm
ScottishPower Renewables, one of the UK’s leading wind energy developers, is hosting a series of special events for families at Whitelee Windfarm Visitor Centre during the October school holidays.
- The Ultimate Turbine Tower Challenge – families compete to build the biggest freestanding wind turbine. Tuesday 13 October.
- A special performance of ‘The Renewables Show’ – a fun, family performance on how energy works. Sunday 11 October.
- Big bug craft sessions – make your own creepy crawlies, from darting dragonflies to bumbling bees. Every day from Saturday 6 – Sunday 18 October.
- Build your own windmill. Every day from Saturday 6 – Sunday 18 October.
- Make your own animal masks. Sunday 11 and Wednesday 14 October.
- ‘Thar She Blows!’ – kids’ session on how wind can be turned into energy. Monday 12 and Friday 16 October.
The windfarm has over 80 miles of carefully maintained tracks which have been developed specifically with families in mind. There is a 1.2 mile mountain biking trail along with a range of specially devised tracks for walkers, cyclists and horse riders.
Teri Nicklin, ScottishPower Renewables Marketing Manager, said: “We’re always blown away by the number of families who visit Whitelee during the school holidays, and we hope that there’s something for everyone in the events and activities we’ve got planned. Over 400,000 people have paid us a visit in the last few years, and we are always pleased to welcome new visitors who want to get a first-hand look at one of Europe’s largest windfarms.”
For more information about Whitelee Windfarm Visitor Centre, please visit www.whiteleewindfarm.co.uk
For further information on the work of ScottishPower Renewables, please visit www.scottishpowerrenewables.com
For further information please contact: Shaun Bell or Georgia Lea at Stripe Communications on 0131 561 8628 or email@example.com
Notes to Editors
ScottishPower Renewables is part of Iberdrola, the world’s largest wind energy developer, with an operating portfolio of over 14,000 megawatts (MW). ScottishPower Renewables is responsible for progressing Iberdrola’s onshore wind and marine energy projects in the UK and offshore windfarms throughout the world.
Securing our position at the forefront of the renewable energy industry, ScottishPower Renewables now has 30 operational windfarm sites producing over 1,600 MW, including West of Duddon Sands, our first offshore windfarm project. With a further 500 MW of onshore windfarm projects due to be constructed, we are set to maintain our position as the UK's leading wind developer.
With our 350 MW Wikinger Offshore Windfarm in the German Baltic Sea due to be constructed in 2017 and our East Anglia ONE windfarm, which has full planning consent and a contract that will allow us to develop up to 700 MW, we are set to position Iberdrola as the world's leading offshore wind developer.