SPR Award Whitelee Extension Windfarm Contract to John Sisk & Son and ROADBRIDGE
ScottishPower Renewables, the UK’s leading developer of onshore windfarms, has appointed the joint venture of John Sisk and Son Limited and Roadbridge, as the main contractor for the Whitelee Extension Windfarm development in East Ayrshire.
Located to the east of the existing Whitelee Windfarm, the 75 turbine extension will increase the generating capacity of the windfarm to 539MW, enough to power the equivalent of up to 300,000 households.
Construction will commence this month with turbine deliveries planned for July 2011, with the windfarm expected to be complete in May 2012.
Stuart Mason, ScottishPower Renewables’ Construction Director said: “SPR is delighted to be working with John Sisk and Son Limited and Roadbridge on this extremely important project.
As Europe’s largest windfarm, Whitelee is a shining example of how responsible development can produce fantastic results and we look forward to reaching our goal of increasing its contribution to the UK’s renewable energy targets.”
Mark McGreevy, Director of Civils, John Sisk & Son commented: “This is a significant contract win for John Sisk & Son and its JV partner Roadbridge as it continues to build its presence as a key player in the UK energy infrastructure industry. We are delighted to support ScottishPower Renewables and help Scotland become a significant generator of renewable energy and look forward to working with local suppliers on this project.”
Notes to Editors:
*Source: New Energy Finance
- ScottishPower Renewables is part of Iberdrola Renovables, the largest wind energy company in the world with an installed capacity of over 12,000 MW at the end of September 2010, and a pipeline of over 57,000 MW. ScottishPower Renewables had over 910 MW of installed capacity at the end of September 2010.
- Iberdrola Renovables has a presence in 23 countries around the world.
- The company is already the largest developer and generator of on-shore wind energy in the UK, with Europe’s largest wind farm at Whitelee which was completed in May 2009.
- SISK Group is a large diverse Irish owned family business with operations in Ireland, the UK, Poland Belgium and the United Arab Emirates. SISK Group has historically had a large construction focus, through its subsidiary John Sisk & Son with significant construction activities in both Ireland and the UK. Its UK business is currently experiencing significant growth by building on its presence in that market for the last 25 years and leveraging on its Irish companies skills and scale developed over the last 150 years. SISK Group currently employs approximately eight hundred people in the U.K. through its construction and healthcare activities.
- To find out more about SISK Group, visit: www.siskgroup.com
- To find out more about John Sisk & Son in the U.K., visit: www.sisk.co.uk